Saturday, May 26, 2007

"E-mail Bankruptcy"

An article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer caught my eye. (Yes, I'm one of those people who still likes to read the newspaper.) Mike Musgrove of the Washington Post discusses the concept of "e-mail bankruptcy" - deleting all old messages and starting over, taking a long break from paying any attention to it, or simply not using it at all. The former is the most common. He mentions CEOs, professors, and recording artists who are declaring "e-mail bankruptcy" or stepping back in some way. Their critics "say copping out is a reactionary and isolationist way of dealing with modern communication."

I'm not overwhelmed by e-mail. I just have a tendency to save it for no reason, like the paper files of articles I keep on hand "just in case I need them someday." I was, however, feeling a little overwhelmed during my introduction to multiple discussion boards during the past two weeks :-)

No comments: