Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Better Day

I should know this by now, but a decent amount of sleep works wonders. It still wasn't enough by recommended standards, but it helped. I reminded myself that sleep=better functioning (and faster reading)=more progress.

I even went out to lunch with my family. My almost-five-year-old nephew asked for a cheeseburger. However, this means "a hamburger with a slice of unmelted cheese on top", not cheese that has melted onto the burger. Next time we'll make sure to ask for a hamburger with a slice of cheese on the side.

My coworkers who have their graduate degrees are dumbfounded by the number of books I have to read for LIS 2000. Even the recent graduates and current students in other programs can't believe it. I've been thinking about this. Even though I'm frustrated by the recommendation to "not read every word" and the necessity of zooming through reading assignments, I'm beginning to see the merit of being exposed to so many resources early in my program. I'm improving my skimming ability, for one thing. In this regard, I would probably have been better off if I hadn't let so many years pass between undergrad and grad school. Second, I'm sure that I'll draw on all of these materials in other courses and in my professional career. After all, LIS 2000 is a core course, a foundation for what is yet to come.

Now if only ZoomClouds would cooperate so I could scratch another assignment off my LIS 2600 list...

No comments: