Friday, June 1, 2007

Frustrations with Firefox

Only one frustration, actually. For some reason, I can not access the university's online library using Firefox. I get to the Host Check screen, and it looks like data is being transferred, but it never finishes. The Help Desk staff told me that I won't be able to use Firefox to get into the library - something about an recent upgrade preventing its use.

I've learned through the Discussion Board that you can't use a Mac for this purpose, but that's not the problem.

The Secure VPN Service instructions state that Firefox 2.0 with Sun JRE 1.5 is compatible. What is Sun JRE 1.5? Is it an automatic component of the latest edition of Firefox? I'll have to find out. Could that be the missing link?

I was moving along O.K. until now. I know we've been told that things won't always work smoothly and that frustration will be a part of online studies. Stay tuned.

No comments: